If you’re in India and not using the HDFC Diners Club Cards then you should. It’s because it’s a sin not to use their 10X program for accruing reward points. It was in 2011-2012 that HDFC Bank partnered with Diners Club International (The company that came up with world’s first credit card) to bring their cards to India. Diners Club was the one to introduce the first charge card to the world, wanna know more? check out Difference between Credit Card and Charge Card
Initially there were hiccups as the acceptability was less and merchants were reluctant to allow those cards on their websites and PoS machines due to the relatively higher fees than their counterpart (VISA and MasterCard). But then HDFC shifted the whole game to the new level with their 10X programs which can help you earn up to 33.33% cash back as reward points. This year they have extended their generous 10X again. But there have been some interesting changes.
HDFC Diners Club 10X Rewards Program Changes as on May 2017
- The program has now been extended till 31st March, 2018,
31st October 2017, July 31st 2017(extended)
- The reward earning capability has been drastically reduced by half on all cards, for Diners Premium (Max 5,000 RP/month) and Diners Black (Max 25,000 RP/ month)
- To be eligible for the offer, cardholder has to do minimum 5 transactions in a statement cycle.
- New partners List: Smartbuy, Bigbasket, Uber, Redbus, Luxehues, Swiggy, Lifestyle and Bookmyshow. Removed: Flipkart, Myntra, Goibibo, Makemytrip, Amazon
- Free One on One Movie ticket limits introduced: 4 for Black and 2 each for Premium and Rewardz per month.
- SmartBuy offer is applicable only on Flight and Hotel bookings. Also cardholder has to continue as a guest to avail the offer
- 10X Reward Points is not applicable on EMI transactions.
Interesting info: Amazon has been named as one of the partners. If that is true then it’ll be huge as it was the only major e-commerce website which was not there in the 10X partner brands. Yes, now Amazon ACCEPTS Diners cards and the payment goes through smoothly.
Why shall it be a setback?
Earlier the reward accrual capability was relatively generous
- Diners Rewardz Card: Max Accrual earlier was 2500 RP/month. Now it is 2000 RP/ month
- Diners Premium Card: Max Accrual Earlier was 10,000 RP/month. Now it is just 5,000 RP/ month
- Diners Black Card: Max Accrual earlier was 50,000 RP/month. Now it is just 25,000 RP/ month.
What does this mean?
This means you can spend maximum ₹18,750 on the Diners Premium on the 10X category above which you won’t get any 10X points. And you can now just spend a maximum of ₹75,000 on the Diners Black on the 10X category above which you won’t get any 10X points. However, you’ll still continue to get the points as per the base rate of the respective cards. This is a drastic change. I know people who used the purchase big on this HDFC Diners Cards to earn massive discounts. But this earning power will be very limited now.
Besides, if they remove partners like Flipkart, Goibibo, Makemytrip and Myntra, it’s going be difficult to earn rewards points as traveling is one area where we spend huge and thus it makes it easier for us to accrue reward points quickly. However, Smartbuy will still compensate that to some extent.
Having said that, I still believe HDFC Diners Club Cards are still one of the best cards you can have in India as of now.
Future of Diners 10X Rewards? As predicted earlier at Cardexpert, 10X program is likely to be extended even further with shuffled partners. This will keep happening until Diners Club Acceptance in India increases as good as Visa/MC and then you can expect the 10x program to be discontinued or heavily devalued. This might be happening sometime by 2018, enjoy until then 🙂
- Update: 2nd May 2017: Its funny that they’ve updated the dates to July 31st 2017 from October 30th 2017. But its just to test our curiosity 😉 Most deals are usually signed with merchants for 6 months. Maybe they might add new terms after July, lets see.
- Update: 6th July 2017: Good news for Diners Club Users. You can now gain 10X points on a lot of other transactions on SmartBuy like Flights, Hotels, Buy, Recharge, Shopping via Flipkart and Bill Payments. So, yes, this can gain you a lot of points.
- Update: 31st Oct 2017: Amazon knocked Out. 10X promo extended through March 2018
- Update 4th April 2018: Please refer the latest update on this article here: HDFC Diners Club 10X Program (March 2018 Update)
Need more such updates on Diners program? Follow us on Facebook for quicker updates. Do let us know your views on this topic. What is your new strategy to earn points?