HDFC Bank Regalia Credit Card is one of the most popular premium credit card in the country for many years. Most of the premium credit cards that we have now were all designed after the success of this legendary card.
However, it lost its name & fame as it went through series of devaluation in recent times but now HDFC has added new set of benefits to make it shine again as it always used to be.
Lets have a look at this card in its newest form as my previous review is quite old now. Note that this is the Original Regalia and do-not get confused with the Regalia First, which is one step below this card.
Table of Contents
Joining Fees & Charges
|Joining Fee||Rs.2,500 (Easy to get First year free)|
|Renewal Fee Waiver||Rs. 3 Lakh Annual Spend|
|Variants||Regalia, Doctor’s Regalia, Business Regalia, Corporate Regalia|
|Minimum Limit||Rs.2 Lakhs|
Default Reward Rate
- 1 Reward Point = 0.50 INR (when redeemed on regalia portal)
- 4 RP for every 150 INR Retail Spends
- Reward Rate: ~1.3%
Spend Based Milestones
- Earn 10,000 Reward Points on annual spends of Rs. 5,00,000 or more in each anniversary year
- Earn 15,000 Reward Points on annual spends of Rs. 8,00,000 or more in each anniversary year
- Fulfilment: After completion of the card anniversary year.
So if you’re able to spend 8 Lakhs in a year, you can get reward rate as good as 2.2% – which is good, but i wish they had designed it to achieve the 2% reward rate as it used it to be in the past.
Now this is where the Regalia credit card shines. Every now and then HDFC runs offers with various merchant to give you 2x/5x/10x of the regular points which multiplies the reward rate so well.
I was fortunate enough to earn 27,500 Reward Points in a month years ago, but now they’ve put very low upper cap on most promos that it gets really hard to rack up points like in olden days.
Note that Business Variant has separate set of 10X partners, but upper caps are everywhere!
All the above reward rate that i’ve mentioned is possible to achieve only when you redeem the points for travel bookings (flights/hotels). If you prefer to redeem your points for shopping or other vouchers from the catalog, you’ll end up loosing a lot.
Redemptions are easy and I’ve myself used Regalia Points to book a trip to Vietnam – typically saving 25,000 INR using points.
- Access Via: Visa Signature/Master Card
- Complimentary Limits: 12 (shared between Primary & Add-on cards but both cards cannot be used for same lounge, same day.)
- Limits Reset: Every Calendar Year
Note that most of the Visa/MC limits are set to every quarter, but with Regalia its an yearly limit, which is great indeed.
- Access Via: Priority Pass
- Complimentary Limits: 6 (shared between Primary & Add-on cards)
- Limits Reset: Every Calendar Year
If you would like to check the remaining visits left on your card at any point of time, you need to check with Priority Pass directly ([email protected]) about the visits done on your PP card. Just deduct that # from your actual limit and you’ll get the remaining limits on your PP card.
- Foreign Exchange Markup fee: 2% + GST
- Credit Shield: 9 Lakhs
How to Apply
- New Application: >12 Lakh Annual Income (Branch/Online)
- HDFC Preferred Banking: If you’re on Preferred Banking for >6 months with good Balance/AQB, you’ve higher chances to get Regalia if above condition is not met.
- Upgrade: Limits above 3 Lakh on existing HDFC card (Regalia First/Allmiles) with good spends would help.
Regalia is a premium credit card (industry’s current hot segment) and so has grand set of competitors across various banks. So if you’re holding Regalia or willing to get regalia, you may also look at below cards,
HDFC Regalia is undoubtedly one of the wonderful credit card of our generation. Its so much popular that the guys operating airport lounges know it when you say “Regalia” rather than Visa Signature or Mastercard. I would have myself literally seen 100’s of Regalia Cardholders swipe their card for lounge access.
- Cardexpert Rating: 4/5
I was holding this card before i switched to HDFC Jet World (Signature) and some of you might be holding Regalia even now. While the Regalia with decent reward rate is good at its current position, it could be much better if the default reward rate is pushed a little more.
Whats your take on HDFC bank Regalia Credit Card? Feel free to share your thoughts in comments below.