One of my friend recently reviewed about his Amex Gold Charge Card and from the responses and queries i received on that card, it appears that many are interested in it even though its very much less rewarding card. Well, Amex does their cool marketing magic to sell those gold charge cards. However, its still a charge card, means, your credit limit can be really high which is one of the major reason that you might consider holding one. Here, lets see a bit of details about the Amex Platinum Travel credit card.
To put in short, American Express Platinum travel Card is useful only for frequent flyers, especially Indigo flyers, because most of the milestone rewards on this card gives you only Indigo vouchers. You can also redeem your rewards points from over 600 other redemption options, but the point value is high only when you opt-for Indigo vouchers.
American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Rewards:
- Welcome Gift: Rs.4,000 Worth Indigo Vouchers
- Spend Rs.1.90 lakhs in a year to get: Rs.7,700 Worth Indigo Vouchers
- Spend Rs.4 lakhs in a year to get: Rs.11,800 Worth Indigo Vouchers + Rs.10,000 Voucher from the Taj Group
So basically you spend Rs.4 Lakhs and get Rs.23,500 worth of Indigo Vouchers & Rs.10,000 Voucher from the Taj Group = Rs.33,500 in Total.
That’s an awesome ~8% Reward rate and stands above all premium cards like HDFC Regalia, HDFC Infinia and Diners Club Black. That makes this card to be the best travel credit card in India if you can utilize it properly on Indigo & Taj. Though, there might be few hidden terms in utilization of these vouchers.
- I recently used the Taj Voucher to stay at Taj Santacruz, Mumbai
Whatsoever, how i see it is, its a great Credit card for frequent flyers which gives 6% reward rate if we neglect Taj voucher as its not the day-to-day expense. However, the disadvantage is that you wont get anything good above 4 Lakhs spend as there are no more milestone benefits beyond that.
Amex India Vs Amex USA – Where Do we Stand?
American Express in USA is known for its generosity in issuing thousands of Signup bonus Miles. While we don’t get anything of that sort in India even with Amex, i see that the competition is picking up in past 1 year or so in Indian credit Card industry and this card is kind of validation of the fact that Amex India is trying to do some good in Indian Frequent Flyers Segment.
Features of American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card:
- CardExpert Rating: 4.5/5
- Reward rate: Upto ~8%
- Complementary Airport lounge access: Yes, 4 Lounges per year. Most Mastercard Lounges are allowed in this Program.
- Foreign Exchange Markup fee: 3.5% + Service Tax
- Special Features: Spend based Bonus Milestone Rewards & Zero Lost Card Liability.
- Personal Concierge Service: Amex is known for its unmatched service with 24×7 Platinum Assist and Emergency Card Replacement, anywhere in the world.
Interestingly, I don’t see even their top-end Plat Reserve card to be of this rewarding one (or, maybe i’m wrong), but i guess days are not too far for companies to issue 1000’s of rewards/airmiles as Indian Credit Card user base is growing up at a very great rate.
Wanna say something? Leave a comment below 🙂