Update: This product has been discontinued by American Express India
I recently reviewed one of the best travel credit card with Amex which is American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card that gives back 8% in form of vouchers. Again, this is a good choice only if you fly Indigo often, else you may consider other cards like Amex Makemytrip credit card. MakeMyTrip and American Express have launched this co-branded Credit Card offering decent benefits to frequent travelers. While its not a premium product, it still gives you good rewards if you spend about ~2.5L a year.
American Express MakeMyTrip Credit Card Rewards:
- Welcome Gift: 2 MakeMyTrip vouchers, each worth Rs.1,000
- Spend Rs.1.25 lakhs in a year to get: MakeMyTrip voucher worth Rs. 2,000
- Spend Rs.2.5 lakhs in a year to get: MakeMyTrip voucher worth Rs. 5,000
- 5 Payback Points for every Rs. 100 spent on MakeMyTrip & 2 Payback points on every Rs.100 spent elsewhere.
- Additional 5% cashback on MakeMyTrip bookings.
So you spend Rs.2.5 Lakhs and get Rs.9,000 worth of MakeMyTrip Vouchers which you can use to book flights/hotels. Its best used if you book flights. I always prefer Goibibo for Hotel booking.
Additionally, you get 1.25% via payback points spent on Makemytrip and 0.5% spent elsewhere. So you get an overall reward rate of ~3.7% (normal spend) to ~4.4% (makemytrip spend). On top of that, you get 5% cashback on Makemytrip related expenses making it 9.4% value back. That’s too much of calculations 😛
Features of Amex MakeMyTrip Credit Card:
- CardExpert Rating: 3/5 [yasr_overall_rating]
- Reward rate: 3.7%~9.4%
- Complementary Airport lounge access: No, however, you get discounted rates for lounge access.
- Foreign Exchange Markup fee: 3.5% + Service Tax
- Special Features: Spend based Bonus Milestone Rewards.
As you see, you make the best use of this card when you spend it on Makemytrip. So this card is suited for those who spend 2.5 Lakhs a year especially on Makemytrip. If you gonna spend less than that, consider taking some other card instead.
What do you think about this card? Drop your comments below.