Club Vistara – the Loyalty program of Vistara airlines recently came up with a new feature that allows its members to buy CV points and redeem for flights. Here’s everything you need to know about the same.
How to Buy
- Login to your Club Vistara Account
- Go to My Account and select ‘Buy CV Points’
- Select the number of CV Points you wish to buy
- Point Value: Rs.1.25+GST(18%) = 1.5 INR/point
- Max. Points: 500,000 CV Points (in 12 months)
- Validity: 3 yrs (36 months)
- Per txn. Limit: 1,000 – 20,000 CV Points per transaction
The points are credited instantly upon payment but may take upto 48 hrs if things go wrong.
When to buy CV Points?
- CV Points selling for: Rs.1.25+GST = ~1.5 INR/point
- I Value CV points at: (Rs.0.75 – Rs. 1)/point
- For Businesses: You can claim GST on this.
As you see above, there is no point in buying CV point in most cases. However, there are few reasons why/when anyone would want to buy CV points:
- In short of points for redemption: If you’re looking for a business class flight at 20K CV points and if you only have 18K points, its fine to buy those 2K points and then redeem. Same goes with upgrades as well. Makes sense in most cases.
- When revenue tickets are expensive: There are at times when the revenue tickets get expensive. This could be due to the festive season or due to the busy holiday route or last minute booking. In such cases, CV points might help you save well. Rare though as busy routes have limited awards anyway!
- When Points are on Sale: Every loyalty program selling points may also sell them on deal at times, usually once or twice a year. So when the sale goes live, all you need to check is whether the net spend is Rs.1/point or below. If so it makes sense, at current redemption structure.
- Redemptions on offer: If Vistara runs any lucrative redemption offers like 50% less CV points or so, it might make sense too.
Note: Don’t forget to check award availability if you intend to buy points.
While buying CV points turns out good in some situations, you may consider eliminating this option as long as you’ve credit card reward points.
Its good to see that we’re now able to buy CV points, but without the points on offer buying CV points for almost Rs.1.5/point (incl. GST) isn’t the right way to go about it. Let’s hope we get some attractive discounts on the points.
Are you planning to buy CV points anytime soon? If so in what situation? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.