SBI issues 2 co-branded Credit Cards in partnership with Air India, one for the beginners under Platinum variant and the other for the high spenders under Signature variant. Air India Signature Card is a far better credit card than its platinum variant and it still remains one of the best travel credit card in India despite devaluation of reward points and benefits in recent times.
SBI Air India Platinum Credit Card Miles Earn Rate:
- 2 Reward points for every ₹ 100 spent
- 10 Reward points for every ₹ 100 spent on Air India tickets
Bonus Milestone Rewards:
- 5,000 Reward Points on spending 2 Lakhs in a Year
- 10,000 Reward Points on spending 3 Lakhs in a Year
- Welcome Bonus: 5,000 Reward Points
- Renewal Bonus: 2,000 Reward Points
If you spend 3 Lakhs on this card, this is what you get:
= 5,000+10,000+6,000(Regular earn rate)+5,000(Welcome Bonus)
= 26,000 Reward points (Not so great!)
Air India Miles Redemption:
So you get 26k Air India Miles on spending 3 Lakhs on Air India SBI Platinum Credit Card. That’s ~8.5% value back if you can redeeming the miles at value of Rs.1/mile or more.
But you can redeem it only on domestic flights which in-turn reduces the point value of the mile by 50% or so. So effective value back is ~4% which is way too low for an Airline Credit card. Instead of redeeming miles on local flights, you can always go for cheap revenue tickets.
Better Redemption Possibilities:
For one way India (Chennai) -> Maldives (Male) Economy ticket, you need 11,000 Points whereas Air India revenue ticket also costs around Rs.11k. This way, you can maximize the Point value of the mile 🙂
Features of SBI Air India Platinum Credit Card:
- CardExpert Rating: 3.5/5 [yasr_overall_rating]
- Reward rate: ~8.5% as AirIndia Miles
- Complementary Airport lounge access: No
- Fuel Surcharge Waiver: Enjoy 0% surcharge (Minimum transaction of INR 500. Maximum waiver of INR 250 per statement cycle)
- Foreign Exchange Markup fee: 3.5% + Service Tax
- Special Features: Milestone Bonus
While this is not a great Airline card from my perspective, its good enough for someone who spends around 3 Lakhs. If you’re looking for free local flights, get the American Express platinum travel card which gives free Indigo cash vouchers which is highly useful for domestic travels.
What’s your opinion on SBI Air India Platinum Credit Card? Do share your views below.