In the world of Credit cards, debit cards, seldom had any significance. Until, HDFC Bank Decided to introduce JetPrivilege HDFC Bank World Debit Card. The card when was introduced was the first loyalty debit card of that type for such a big known brand like JetAirways. There were a lot of benefits of holding the debit card. However, come 15th November, 2017, a lot of these benefits are going to go. For many, these might be the deal breaker.
So what are the changes that have taken place:
- Joining Benefits:
- Earlier: HDFC Used to give 2000 JPMiles for joining rewards along with 1000 RPs for applying online and that would be credited once you had done a transaction within 90 days of getting the card.
- Now: HDFC will only give 500 JPMiles as joining benefits post one transaction.
- Renewal Benefits:
- Earlier: You used to get 2000 JPMiles for renewal. Now understand that the fees for this card was just ₹500 + ST. For this meagre amount you used to get 2000 JPMiles. So this card was a no brainer just for this benefit itself.
- Now: You will only get 500 JPMiles as renewal benefits once you do transaction within 90 days of card issuance.
- Airport Lounge Access:
- Earlier: There was a time that the card had unlimited airport lounge access in India. But later it was changed to 2 visits/quarter. But some users reported that they continue to enjoy unlimited visits.
- Now: It is now confirmed that the card only has 2 visits/quarter. I checked it myself when I called on the MasterCard Helpline number of 1800-102-6263. Now the IVRS correctly says that “You still have 2 complimentary visits left”.
- JPMiles on Retail Transaction:
- Earlier: You used to earn 4 JPMiles/₹150 for International Transactions and transactions on JetAirways website. For all other transactions you got 2 JPMiles/ ₹150.
- Now: You continue to earn 4 JPMiles/₹150 for international and JetAirways Transactions. However, you’ll now earn 2 JPMiles/₹150 on domestic Hotel, Air, Travel, Utility, Apparels and Restaurants only. You now get only 1 JPMiles/₹150 on all domestic shopping and online merchants for rest of the categories (except Jewellery, Business Services and Fuel). Now this is a big change. The earning capability on this debit card was already low. Now it has been effectively halved for most transactions. This literally makes no point in holding this debit card any more for online/offline purchase anymore if you have good credit cards etc.
Rest all the features of the card continue to be the same. Be it the ATM withdrawal limit or the Insurance. In the light of the above changes, it is a card that many people won’t prefer to own. I personally won’t like to shell out ₹500 + GST every year without much benefits now.
For people who are salary bank account holders in HDFC or who have Classic or higher portfolio, you get free VISA/Mastercard Easyshop Platinum Card. Though it doesn’t have any benefits, yet you don’t have to pay any joining or renewal fee either.
However, there are a couple of reasons you can still hold on to this card. One is if you don’t have better debit/credit cards than this then you should have this debit card as it is still better than a lot of debit cards in the market.
The second reason is that by default, the JPMiles that you accrue on your spends or earn for flights are valid for 3 years. However, if you own any of the co-branded credit/debit cards of any bank, the validity of the JPMiles that you earn is increased to 5 years. This card is the cheapest way to do so.
How many of you own this card and now plan to ditch it? Do you still plan to keep it? Let us know why in the comments section below.